Mornings can be hectic. Some of us may enjoy the start of the day, waking up early with our goals top of mind. Others, on the other hand, would do anything for an extra 10 minutes in bed.
Wherever you fall on the spectrum, a good morning routine can dramatically improve your life. We are most productive when we first wake up, so setting yourself up with a system at the start of every day will also ensure your productivity remains throughout your day.
Your routine does not need to be long, just effective. Here are some habits to implement in your morning routine if you’re not already:
- First things first, create a to-do list the night before. We’ve all heard this before… it’s a no brainer. But how many of you actually include this step in your routine daily? When you see your tasks first thing, it will help you stay on track throughout the day.
- Get energized. Whether that means taking a shower first thing, doing some yoga or going to the gym, or having coffee right away, you want to wake yourself up to have the most productive morning.
- Tackle your hardest task first. We all have things in our daily lives we may not enjoy, but if you focus on getting that task completed and out of the way, you don’t have to spend the rest of the day worrying about it.
- Fuel your body. Statistics have shown that people who eat breakfast are less likely to be obese, they have more stable blood-sugar levels, and they tend to be less hungry over the course of the day. If you’re not thinking about food all day, you’re likely to stay more focused and productive.
- Prepare your outfit the night before. If you are someone who spends too much time deciding what to wear, pick your outfit out the night before. You’ll save precious time to do more productive things.
- Read something. News articles, industry news, even just a book. It’s been said that Reading is strongly correlated to success factors, such as income and job position.
- Don’t hit that snooze button! No matter how many times you hit the snooze button, you will eventually need to get up. So stop wasting time thinking you are getting more sleep and just wake up when your alarm sounds.
- Get enough sleep. The real secret to a productive morning comes from the night before. Make sure you are getting the right amount of sleep your body needs.